This series is the story of the internet in the years before the rise of the world wide web.
Our story is of people and ideas rather than an explication of technology.
Our focus is on people and ideas.
These are our themes:
- The net arose from the contributions of many people. There were no singular geniuses who gave birth to the internet; rather the internet is a collage of many minds.
- There was no grand plan. The internet could have evolved into something quite different than what it is today. Or it could have not evolved at all.
- There were (and are) no internet deities.
- The internet could have gone other ways (or not at all.)
- The internet is more than the World Wide Web.
- Government initiatives can produce great things.
- The internet is not finished. There is much yet to be created.